1993 Yamaha WaveRunner 500
In March of 2020, correctly anticipating I would soon have a lot more free time, I found a free Wave Runner on Craigslist. I was searching for a project that would let me get my hands dirty and give me something fun to do over the summer.
It turned out to be a relatively straightforward project. After the usual carburetor rebuild, electrical problems, and fuel system issues, I was able to get some time on the water. Of course, that wouldn’t last long. After getting stranded on the water, I discovered that the original engine control system (a CDI in this case) stopped working. These are not serviceable components and have not been made in at least 25 years! So after some research, I found that a cheap CDI for a generic Quad worked! As usual, this project allowed me to explore the interesting design and manufacturing considerations made by Yamaha, and I could enjoy a nice outing on the water.